Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Problem Fix: Hoarding

As I said in my post, Teacher Vice 1: Hoarding, teachers like to hoard. I found a friend who has enlighten me that hoarding is unnecessary and I am going to enlighten you on how I started to fix the problem.

1) The first thing I had to decide is if I could downgrade my furniture. Currently, I have a giant desk that houses 5 years of teacher junk, my 24'' flatscreen TV, my X-Box 360, my Wii, and Zeus knows what else. I have a twin size bed, which includes mattress, box spring, and metal toe smasher. I have a set of drawers (I need to learn to use!) and finally THREE bookshelves FULL of books, movies, and video games. So, downgrading! Ultimately, the only thing I could downgrade is the GIANT desk (I don't even remember getting. It just appeared one day.) At the Dollar General, I found a small, but functional 2 tier shelf. I has all the space I need to put my X-Box and TV.

2) Remember how I said my desk has 5 years of teacher junk? What is teacher junk? Well to me it includes the massive amount of materials I obtained in college, student teaching, and my first year of teaching. My friend (whose blog can be found here) enlightened me about teacher junk. If I haven't used it in several years throw it away, if I use it e-file it and throw it away, and e-file everything and don't keep a filing cabinet full of papers you (I) won't ever look at again. So the spiral bound copy of "Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia" that I received when I student taught and have hoarded for nearly two years is going to the waste bin, because who needs it and it is online if I ever need it (and when would I?)

3) Downgrading the number of clothes I own. We all have that shirt we do not wear. Why keep it? I am going through all my clothes and sorting them, TEACHER CLOTHES, Civilian Clothes, Donations, and throw away.

My problem starts at home. If I clean up my act at home, I will be able to clean up my hoarding in my classroom. I will keep you posted. Thanks goes to M of M* Print for aiding me in my problem of hoarding teacher stuff. Her blog can be seen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment