Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Introductions to J.P.

My name is Jonathan Powers. I am from a small town located in the heart of Southwest Virginia. I currently hold a Bachelors of Science in mathematics through a small liberal arts college known as Emory and Henry. I currently teach mathematics at the high school level and I overly enjoy every moment of my teaching career. I have three dogs whose company I enjoy daily and a loving and supporting family who enjoys my extreme ideas and constant pursuit of mathematical knowledge.

I am a weird math person! I enjoy reading and writing ( even though I don't care to much about grammar and spelling). We as humanity are only as good as our words. We may come up with amazing mathematics and concepts, but with words we can express our knowledge to the world. So, in my classroom, my students write and express the concepts I have taught the in their own words for two major reasons: a way for me to check for their understanding and a way for me to use the ability of the students to express concepts in a way that all students will understand. Concluding, I have decided since I make my students write. I have decided that I too should begin to write and express my ideas to the world.

I got this idea from a really close friend of mine. She, too, harps the idea students should write (she's an English teacher) but does not write enough herself. I invoke her to force me to do this on a regular basis. I desire to transform my ideas into reality and they start with motivation and the friends, I hope I have!

1 comment:

  1. Yay, yay, yay! I'll follow you if you follow me . . . <3, friend!

    ReplyDelete