Friday, June 21, 2013

Budgeting for Tomorrow

For the past two years, I've taken off on a night trip to Charlotte, NC/SC (it is on the line of the two states) in October. In October, Carowinds holds its yearly Scarowinds. They turn the theme park into a haunted play land for wimps like me (ask my friends Steven, Shy, and Jonathan, I am a wimp). However, it has grown to be repetitive and no new haunted houses from year to year. So this year I've set my sights a little bigger. As a teacher, I am given three personal days! I am going to use two of them for this trip in October. Why would I waste your time to tell you this? Well our students have three problems with their education:

One) we give them a calculator
Two) we force them to take high stakes tests
Three) we don't teacher consumer mathematics

Since we don't teach consumer mathematics any more I am going to write my students a guide to consumer mathematics that I hope to give to them as seniors. The first topic is budgeting. Since my trip is in three months I can sample three budgeting techniques. Here is the criteria I will follow:

One) On the first day of July, August, and September I will explain the technique I am planning to use for the month.
Two) On the fifteenth of each month, I will give a mid-month review. This review will tell you where I am in my budgeting for my trip and how I feel about the technique.
Three) On the last day of each month, I will detail the pros and cons of the technique and give my full blown opinion of the technique

Now you should wonder...
Where am I going?
Who am I going with?
How much money do I need to save?
When am I leaving?

All answers are simple, No Idea!

Okay, do have answers, but you'll have to wait!  

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! I wish my math education had been more practical.

    ReplyDelete