Saturday, June 22, 2013

Teacher Vice 1: Hoarding

Alright let's all agree teachers have a single common problem, we hoard. I don't care of you are the most organized teacher in the world, you still have a stash of hoarded materials squirrel away somewhere. We all collect ideas from other teachers, the beginning of the school year is like Christmas to teacher we have to buy the cheap school supplies, and we keep everything (student work to administration paperwork). But we can hoard our materials in a organized matter (at least some). My first vice is I am a compulsive collector. I collect everything from ald text books to the coolest pencils and much much more. I fall under the category of a hoarder. What ever you think a hoarder is keep it to your self, but to me I find security of having a hoard of stuff around me. Sadly, I have to change my ways! Why must I you ask? Well look at the following picture.

                                   
 


Do you see I have a problem? If I am like this at home, can you imagine my classroom. I thrive in disorganization, but it stresses me out and forces me to freak out at the wrong times (can not find a test. Noooooooooooooooooooo! Worst feeling ever!). I have 5 step program, I am going to follow to clean up my dirty little problem.

1) Categorize all my books, video games, and movies
2) Sort my clothes into teacher clothes, civilian clothes, and Salvation Army clothes
3) Bag up all trash. The only papers I will keep are important papers like bills, official school papers, and awards.
4) Put all the money I find in a jar and count it as I go.
5) Organize book cases, drawers, closet, and storage bins in an organized manner.

How do you keep from hoarding? How do you keep organized? Comments will be appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. I find I collect things as well. Josh wishes I'd get a teaching job so that my closet of teaching things go away. I think I'm pretty much an organized person, but things can get crazy. To help with any hoarding problems I have, I try to organize and throw away things I don't need periodically.

    ReplyDelete